Wednesday 20 September 2023

What it takes to be a House Captain

Every September, as part of the KS2 Citizenship curriculum, the children elect new House Captains. 

It is not an easy process, children have to put themselves forward as a candidate then deliver a speech to the other children in their house in an effort to persuade them to vote for them. It is at this point, that the teachers discover just what being a pupil at our school is all about. Their speeches always fill me with pride; sometimes it is not about what they say but the fact that they have actually stood up in front of their peers and verbalised their feelings about the school. Sometimes it is what they say.

Here is an example:

I take pride in helping people to the best of my ability and if I can't then I will point them to to the best teacher at our school... well actually they are all the best. I am proud to be a pupil of Wrotham Road Primary School and in my role of house captain I want to help you see the school in the same light.

Our school values help us...Independence:  I will help you understand what it means to be independent in learning. Individuality: I will encourage acceptance of differences. Creativity: I will help you bring your ideas to life. Confidence:I will assist in bringing out your confidence in not only your learning but also your social skills. Enjoyment, I will take your ideas to our teacher to bring enjoyment to learning...

I am not going to embarrass the pupil who wrote this by naming her, suffice to say she is now a Blue House Captain.

Don't you just wish our politicians spoke with the same eloquence and selflessness?






No comments:

Post a Comment