Tuesday 12 March 2024

Neighbours or Home and Away?

Everybody loves good neighbours...

Personally, I was always a Neighbours fan - maybe it was the Kylie and Jason thing but I suspect it had more to do with the theme song. Look at me, showing my age again.

So why have I brought up old Australian soap operas? It is because I have always thought of our school as a community school. Community is important to us - the children and their families, all our staff and the people who live near us; our neighbours. Sometimes we depend upon them, whether it is to return a wayward playground football or to let us know when there is commotion on the street. Sometimes they depend upon us.

Which is why I am going to make an appeal on behalf of our neighbours on Sheppy Place. Pick up time at the end of the day is sometimes a hectic occasion and we try our best to get our children out of school safely. For the people walking home, this is fairly straight forward but we do have some children who are picked up by car. 

Can we please ask that parents do not use residential parking spaces whilst waiting for their child in their car? Parking spaces on the street in Sheppy Place are rare but it is not very neighbourly to park in the off-road spaces reserved for for residents. I know that these neighbours understand the dilemma that our parents have when trying to pick up their children, particularly in the rain but I am aware of their understandable level of frustration. On top of this, we also have concerns regarding parents sitting in idling cars at the end of the day - for health reasons.

I do not moan often -  I know this concerns only a small proportion of our community and I am so grateful for the support parents and carers have shown me in the short period I have been Head of School. However before I go, please be more Kylie, be more Jason.



No comments:

Post a Comment